Monday, May 2, 2011

A Blessing for Peter Cottontail

About two weeks ago, I became an involuntary surrogate to a trio of baby cottontails. I have a soft spot for critters...babies especially. So when the hubby came in to inform me he had dismembered mama with the lawnmower, and had three little babies wrapped up in the wheelbarrow in the garage, I couldn't just let them die. I brought them in the house, put them in a box on a heating pad, and started bottle feeding them goats milk. Over the last week they have really thrived, and now look like miniature rabbits. For the past two days, they've been jumping at the sides of the box trying to get out, so I knew it was time to release them back into the world where they belong.

My son and I took them out this morning, and put them into a nice patch of high grass. We've peeked in on them over the course of the day, and they're just hanging around in the spot where we left them. They do run away when we get too close, so I have high hopes for them.


So here's to you little cottontails:
May Mother Nature guide you and keep you.
May you live long and prosper, and may the force be with you, wherever your lives may lead you.

No comments:

Post a Comment