Monday, May 23, 2011

It's the End of the World as We Know It

Boy how things change in a year. A year ago we were living in a townhome in the center of a thriving community on the outskirts of a big city. We could walk to the grocery store, the drugstore, Starbucks, and just about any other handy dandy grab it quick and go place that you can imagine. Our yard was, well, not even worthy of being called a yard. It was more of a 10x10 square of grass.


A year later, we are living in a big ole beautiful farmhouse, in need of much love and repair. The hubby now has 8 acres of grass to cut. There are holes in the barn, and fences to paint. I find bugs daily that look as though they jumped right out of the Sci Fi channel. There are hordes of ants and nats and spiders and flies. We've taken out three snakes this week. I found a four foot snake skin hanging in the tree from whence our farm gets it name. There are birds singing songs more beautiful than any music I've ever heard. We have a porch swing where we sit on nice nights and listen to the frogs and crickets singing their heart song, while the soft night breeze blows. We roast marshmallows with friends and family, and chat by the fire. It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine.





















The winter garden is just about spent. The cabbage and peas are ready to harvest. All of the lady finger carrots are out of the garden. I just started cutting back the spinach last week. The strawberries weren't supposed to fruit until fall, but I've found a few surprises! And since there aren't enough to preserve, I feel no guilt at reaching down and plucking one right off the plant, wiping it off on my shirt, and eating it right then and there. I can't even describe the sweetness of eating a strawberry as soon as it ripens. Oh my.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our first year summer garden does as well as the winter one did. For a first time gardener, I'd say I didn't do half bad! I'll definately add more peas and plant a LOT less lettuce. I'll also have a better garden plan before I plant the beds again in the fall. It kind of makes me sad to see it go.
I am however getting very excited about the summer garden. I think if everything does well, the quantity of food we'll grown will be a bit overwhelming. I think I'm going to invest in another pressure canner. It would sure make putting up food go a lot faster. Thus far we have corn, beans, squash, zucchini, eggplant, three types of tomatoes, five types of peppers, potatoes, pumpkins, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe,several hundred sunflowers, and several herbs sprouting.

Despite all the happy things going on here at the farm, we learned a sad hard lesson this week that all things farming aren't all fuzzy peaches and warm tacos.
Sunday we had a family day and picked up another batch of Americauna chicks. One of the bunch didn't look too healthy when we picked them up, so we brought them home and starting giving her electrolytes. She unfortunately didn't survive past dinner. It broke my sweet son's heart. We had a little burial for her and put her to rest under a tree in the pasture. We've lost eight more over the past six days. Out of the batch of eighteen, only nine remain.

We have made up for that loss! On Saturday, we took some dear young friends and our son to a chicken swap. Our flock has now grown to 25 buckeyes, 2 easter eggers, 5 broad breasted turkeys, 8 heritage turkeys, 5 splash Americaunas, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 8 crested polish of various colors, about 40 True Americaunas, and 10 ducks. No more chicks for a while. You hear that honey?

I would like to dedicate this blog to my sweet, bouncy, giggly little girl who turns twenty today! You are the light of my life. You can make me laugh even when I'm mad. I love you for the little girl you were, and the woman you are growing up to be. I love you always....and welcome to adulthood! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment